Thursday, March 25, 2010

Quinoa Meatloaf Muffins





These are amazing on several different levels.

First, the fact that the husband ate these. He has not eaten anything I've made with quinoa. His motto "if I can't pronounce it and my mom didn't feed it to me, I'm not eating it." Well, he ate it and he's still breathing this morning.

Another amazing thing is that these have raisins and nobody noticed! At all! Really if I told the family that there was quinoa AND raisins, they totally would have ordered pizza on me. Not to mention the grated carrot but they are used to me throwing grated veggies in food. Now, don't get me wrong, just because they didn't notice the raisins, didn't mean they didn't do anything to the meat. I could totally tell they were there and they gave the meatloaf a sweet, slightly chewy consistency. While that may not sound appetizing, let me assure you, they were great and I wouldn't leave them out again.

The only thing I would have done different would be to add all ground turkey instead of the half and half. I don't know what I was thinking. I think the ground chuck just made them slightly more greasy than they could have been and just not as healthy. I could have shaved off nearly 40 calories per muffin if I had used all ground turkey. Then I wouldn't have felt so guilty for eating all those french fries along with them instead of the salad I had planned to eat. Oh well.
I usually smear my meatloaf in ketchup and/or BBQ sauce. I enjoyed the barbecue sauce from the meatballs last week so much that I made it for these.




I didn't put it on the muffins before cooking as there is a lot of meat and I think it would have just dripped off and made a huge mess. So, I just cooked it in a small pan before they were done and then added it on top . Perfect.
Barbeque Sauce
Adapted from Pioneer Womans meatballs

1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. splenda
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
heaping 1/4 cup onion, finely minced
dash or 2 of tabasco

Combine everything and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes on a low simmer until onions are slightly softened. Spread on meatloaf muffins as desired.



Quinoa Meatloaf Muffins

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. lean ground beef (I'll use all ground turkey next time)
1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup carrot, grated
1 onion, minced
1/3 cup egg beaters
dash of milk
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450. Combine meats, raisins, quinoa, carrots, onions, salt, pepper, oregano and worcestershire sauce together. Add the egg substitute and a splash of milk making sure everything holds together. Divide into 12 muffins in muffin pan, do not grease the pan. Each muffin will have a rounded top and be heaping full. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until done.

Total calories = 2697 calories
12 servings = 225 calories per muffin

2 Quinoa Meatloaf Muffins + BBQ sauce + french fries = 636 calorie dinner

These are linked with:
Ingredient Spotlight: Quinoa at Eat at Home



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




6 comments:

  1. what a great idea. super protein packed and nutritious. i'll have to make some and freeze them. i can't believe they didn't taste the quinoa or raisins! we love the idea of quinoa more than the actual taste so i have to really mix it up alot to enjoy it. my husband says he wants to eat it more but when i make it, he's not too excited with it. i've learned to really dress it up with lots of other ingredients. i have all these ingredients except egg beaters. i'll just use egg whites..how many do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a protein packed entree. It's always wonderful when the family enjoys these healthful efforts. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious recipe - I love quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this sounds like a great healthy recipe,
    Is it ok if I leave out the raisins? Will it still hold together well? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great Debbie! I wonder if they'll pass the "husband" test, maybe if I just don't mention that there is quinoa in them. :-). I love BBQ sauce. I might play around with adding sauteed spinach, or fresh parsley, maybe a vegan version. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ate these tonight. Absolutely delish! 3 yr old gobbled two servings. Used just 11/2 lbs turkey... lightened the calories.... still yummy. Plenty left in the freezers. Thanks! -Becky

    ReplyDelete