Saturday, March 13, 2010

Quinoa & Black Bean Cold Salad




I love the flavors of this salad. It's no secret that I adore red wine vinegar. That paired with the lime, the cilantro, the onions, and finally the texture of the quinoa, just gives this that "what is that flavor" feeling on your tongue. You can't help but continuing to go back for more and more. It's really that good.

It definitely has that south of the border appeal and would be great for a fiesta or any Mexican themed meal.

This salad made a lot. So naturally I shared it. Everyone I gave it to came back with glowing results. Even a 4 year old loved this! It truly was a fantastically tasty dish that needs to be made again and again.


This is my entry to the Side Dish Showdown hosted by Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.

This is linked with Ingredient Spotlight: Beans over at Eat At Home. Check out some more bean recipes!!

Quinoa & Black Bean Salad
1 ¼ cup quinoa
1 can (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 can of corn
1 red pepper, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ cup cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
½ tsp. salt
1 ¼ tsp. cumin
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. splenda or sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse quinoa under cold water thoroughly. Put quinoa in a pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff quinoa and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool. In a small bowl, toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper. Add beans, corn, red pepper, green onions, garlic, cayenne and cilantro to the quinoa. Toss well. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, cumin, splenda and oil. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper.

Total calories = 1770
12 - 1/2 cup servings = 148 calories per serving

1 taco burger with sandwich thin + 1/2 cup Quinoa Black Bean Salad = 451 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




4 comments:

  1. I really need to buy quinoa so I can make your recipes. I have never cooked with it so I never think to pick it up when I am at the store. One of these day I will remember and I will sit down and make all of your quinoa recipes because they all sound and look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful salad, I love black beans. Have yet to try quinoa though. It's on my list, guess I better get going with it ;) Great addition to the side dish show down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a dish I could definitely love! The flavors are delicious! And what a plus that I can eat it right out of the fridge. Thanks for sending it to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinoa is one of the foods I on my to-try list for the year and I still haven't tried it. I can't find it at Walmart, where I do my grocery shopping. I'll have to keep looking and then try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete