Monday, March 8, 2010

Pepper Jack Turkey Quesadillas with Cranberry Salsa


Could you imagine if we all had to eat steak and potatoes made the same way? Steak comes from a cow and potatoes come from the ground. Yet, they can be made in so many amazing different ways.


I love the contrast between sweet & spicy or salty & sweet. I find it fascinating how we all have the same genetic makeup yet everyday idiosyncrasies make us unique and different from everyone else. It's what makes life (and food) so amazing. Joanne from Eats Well With Others just had a post about contradictions and flavors coming together to create an awesome meal. This meal, too, had amazing contrasting flavors. It's just simple turkey and cranberries but mixed with something different to make it unique and unbelievably tasty.

I adored the spiciness of the pepper jack and jalapenos contrasted with the sweetness of the pear and cranberries. Then to mix that with the coolness of the sour cream just sent me out of this world. Yes, I know it's just a quesadilla but this is a super, fantastic, extraordinary quesadilla. (Did I leave out any adjectives?)

I found it easiest to cook them one quesadilla at a time and just decorating 1/2 the tortilla and cutting into 3 wedges. It seems to hold together better and toast better for me.



I don't recommend subbing another cheese for the pepper jack. The balance from the sweet and spicy is really amazing. I do not like my food overly spicy but this actually could have been a bit spicier and still been fine. I used a pretty large jalapeno in the salsa.





Pepper Jack Turkey Quesadilla's with Cranberry Salsa
Adapted from Recipezaar

Cranberry Salsa:
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. green onions, chopped
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 fresh pear, cored and finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (mine was pretty big)

Quesadillas:
1/2 cup green onions
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
8 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey
sour cream, light

Prepare salsa by combining first 7 ingredients. Cover and chill. Heat large skillet, coat pan with cooking spray, add onions to pan, saute 3 minutes or until tender. Remove onions. Add tortilla to pan, toast on one side. Flip tortilla, sprinkle 1 tbsp. cheese over tortilla, top with 1 tbsp. onions, 3 tbsp. turkey, 1 tbsp. cheese.** Fold tortilla in half, transfer to plate and cut into 3 wedges. Serve with heaping 1/4 cup cranberry salsa and 1 tbsp. sour cream.

**You can also put a tbsp. of the cranberry salsa right on the tortilla with the turkey and cheese. That's what I did with my second one.

Total calories = 2258 calories
8 servings = 282 calories for 1 turkey tortilla with salsa

2 Pepper Jack Turkey Quesdillas with Cranberry Salsa + 2 tbsp. sour cream = 584 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



2 comments:

  1. Wow. These do sound out-of-this-world awesome. Although in my opinion you can never go wrong with cranberry sauce. Ever.

    I love the contrasting flavors in this, and the post! So very true :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen cranberry salsa before. However, the mixing of the salsa and quesadilla look and sound insanely good.

    ReplyDelete