Saturday, March 6, 2010

Maple Pecan Candied Sweet Potatoes

I've been on a sweet potato kick lately. And I don't think it's going to end anytime soon. My plate didn't stay that neat for long. I love to smother the turkey with the sweet potatoes instead of gravy. Yum.

Candied sweet potatoes are really one of the worst side dishes as far as calories. I found this in a cooking light magazine. It was an already healthified way of preparing sugary, sweet, nutty potatoes but I cut even more calories and I think it turned out fantastic. Rather than half and half, I just used regular milk and I used egg beaters to replace the egg.

I've had this turkey breast in my freezer for quite awhile. If I recall, I got it for super cheap but I still had turkey leftovers in the frig from a long time back. Well, the turkey leftover supply is gone so it was time to bake another turkey. This was smaller than my last one so it didn't yield quite as many baggies of extras. I will get another meal or two and an awesome turkey noodle soup.

Maple Pecan Candied Sweet Potatoes
2 lbs. sweet potatoes
¼ cup milk, 1%
3 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 cup egg beaters
Cooking spray
½ cup mini marshmallows
2 tbsp chopped pecans (I used walnuts, shh! Don't tell!)

Preheat oven to 400. Pierce potatoes several times with fork. Place potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly, peel and mash in a large bowl. Reduce temp to 350. Stir in milk and the next 8 ingredients, through egg, into an 8 x 8 baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the top with mini marshmallows and chopped pecans, bake 12 - 14 minutes or until the mini marshmallows are slightly melted and browned.

Total calories = 1311 calories
4 servings = 328 calories per serving

4 oz. turkey breast + Sweet Potatoes + green beans = 501 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


  1. This looks delicious. It's amazing how you were able to strip away calories and make the dish healthier. I hope you are having a wonderful day.. Mary

  2. ha! I just posted a sweet potato recipe too. SO GOOD! Yours look fantastic!

  3. I have been on a sweet potato kick for, oh the past four years or so. Ever since I discovered them. So yeah. You won't be growing out of it. Anytime in the near future.

    This dish looks delicious! Ultimate comfort food. Seriously.

    As for the light butters...I used Land O Lakes light butter for cooking and real butter for baking. I've tried the light butter for baking and things just don't turn out the same way. To each his (or her) own!

  4. What a scrumptious sweet potato recipe! I like walnuts better than pecans so I won't tell. Thanks for putting up the Side Dish badge!

  5. I love sweet potatoes and can't wait to try this! YUM! Thanks for linking up to BSI: Vanilla

    Around My Family Table