Thursday, March 18, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese


Comfort food. Ultimate. Comfort food. *sigh* Just seeing the pictures of this meal brings be back. It was extraordinary.

Yes, we're talking just regular old mac and cheese and bbq meatballs. But, really, we're NOT talking regular at all. These are Pioneer Womans mac and cheese and bbq meatballs. Some how that just brings it to a whole new level.

This is not diet friendly. Especially when you eat so much your mouth is saying how full you are, but your tongue is licking the plate. Was that ME that just said that?

However, I did cut the calories from hers a bit. Though I'm quite sure that hers was even more delicious. I used 1% milk rather than whole. Plus, I used light butter. I wasn't about to scrimp on the cheese because, well after all, this IS macaroni and cheese! I did use all cheddar but would love to try a combination of cheese next time. Oh, and there will be a next time, baby, seriously.

You also certainly could make this a lower calorie meal by just watching your portions. Even though these were a knock out together, it would be a better choice by just eating a serving of mac and cheese with a salad or a vegetable. I hadn't calculated the calories until after I was licking the plate so I was blissfully unaware but that isn't always a good idea.
She has mouth watering photos and a play by play of the whole preparing of the meal here. I'll share the scrumptious bbq meatball recipe here tomorrow.




Mac & Cheese

1 lb. dried macaroni (about 4 cups)
1/4 cups butter
1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 cups milk, 1%
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 whole egg, beaten
1 lb. cheese, grated (I used all cheddar but use whatever combination you'd like)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika

Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain. I have a habit of overcooking pasta so you might want to listen to her and cook it until only firm, mine was slightly over done. Again.
In a small bowl, beat egg.
In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
Add in all but 1/2 cup or so of cheese and stir to melt.
Add salts and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! Do not undersalt, it needs salt. I'm a salt fan so I added more salt.
Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.

Total calories = 4144
8 servings = 518 calories per serving

Mac and cheese + 4 meatballs + green beans = 922 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Great recipes and keeping the calories down is smart!

    I realized I am cooking all the same foods over and over and have limited recipes so I am branching out and trying new recipes daily. If you're interested, it's babyglenn.blogspot.com.

    I can't make this specific recipe as my husband's allergic to eggs, but I've made a similar one.

    I will follow you and keep up, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac & cheese is my idea of total comfort food - yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we LOVELOVELOVE mac & cheese in this house! i will make this one ASAP. i haven't been doing anything on my blog lately since i'm preoccupied with school but only a few more weeks and then i can get back to documenting my life again. i can't wait.but i always have time to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac and cheese is a classic dish. I don't think your could ever eat enough of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete