Monday, March 22, 2010

Irish Apple Mash



I had to make something Irish. Well, I didn't necessarily have to but I wanted to. Joanne picked Irish food for this months Regional Recipe challenge. It certainly seemed fitting.



I thought about doing corned beef and cabbage, though I'm not a huge fan. My dad loves it and I still might tackle it later in the month. There are plenty of Irish desserts that looked heavenly. Irish stew and soda bread are obviously great but I've seen plenty of that on the blogging world. Though the excuse to buy some Guinness Beef certainly is enticing!



Then I saw apple mash. The first thing I thought of was from the movie Cheaper By Dozen when they were whacking apples with a baseball bat. That sounds like fun. I think they called it apple schmear. Same thing.



Well, I controlled myself and decided not to whack the apples with a baseball bat but it was super simple and quite a tasty side dish. In fact, I would rather have these than plain, old mashed potatoes any day. I didn't mash mine super fine, I like chunks in my mashed potatoes and especially with the apple, the chunks were quite welcome.



What I liked about these was that they looked just like regular mashed potatoes but then came the surprise taste of the tart apple and it really was enjoyable. That being said, I think when I make these again, I won't peel the potatoes or the apples. They won't look as pretty or deceptively plain but I don't like peeling off the main nutrition off the food so I'm all for leaving it on there.







Irish Apple Mash

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb. apples, peeled, cored and cubed (fairly tart if possible)
1 tbsp. splenda
2 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

Boil potatoes until softened. Drain and put into a large bowl. Meanwhile, cook apples in a small saucepan with a splash of water and splenda. Cook until soft, drain if necessary and add to the potatoes. Mash potatoes and apples together with butter and serve. Don't worry about getting the potatoes and apples too smooth, chunks are nice. :-)


Total calories = 1017 calories
6 servings = 170 calories per serving


3 Spicy Black Bean Cakes + 1 serving Apple Mash = 461 calorie dinner






Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




2 comments:

  1. I made apple mash before - such a yummy combo! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the apple mash idea! Definitely a better way to liven up mashed potatoes than adding tons of cream. I'm definitely going to have to make this. But I may break out the baseball bat for it.

    ReplyDelete