Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Garlic Ranch Bacon Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie



It really always comes back to comfort food, doesn't it?

I like this recipe as it comes together pretty quickly. It uses canned soups which certainly can be helpful when short on time.

This is my take on Jenny's recipe, you must check out her recipes, she takes the most amazing pictures.

I do increase the ranch from the original recipe. I love ranch and I think it adds an awesome flavor. However, my husband says that it is a bit too salty. Ranch is salty. I happen to love salt so this isn't an issue with me. So keep in mind before adding extra salt besides the ranch if you are sensitive to salt.




I can only find the 8 count biscuit doughs but 6 fit perfect on here. You certainly could cram more on if you'd. I just bake up the extra 2 biscuits and my son will eat them. He won't eat the pot pie but will devour the biscuits in no time. Go figure.





Garlic Ranch Bacon Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Picky Palate

2 lbs. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 packets of dry ranch dressing mix (or 5 - 6 tbsp. ranch powder)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 - 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup, Healthy Request
1 - 10 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk, 1%
2 - 16 oz. bags frozen veggies, I use carrots, peas, corn and green beans
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 lb. crumbled turkey bacon pieces, already cooked
1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese
6 canned homestyle biscuits (I used Pillsbury)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Pepper

Place shredded cooked chicken in large bowl. Sprinkle in 3 tbsp. (or 1 packet) of ranch dressing, salt and pepper. Toss to combine seasonings.

In a large pan, saute onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Place soups and milk in pan and whisk until combined. Stir in mixed veggies and then shredded chicken. Transfer to a 9 x 13 in. baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle bacon on top.

Open biscuits and cut each biscuit into 10 little triangle pieces. Place little pieces of biscuit over the top of chicken mixture until it's all covered. Sprinkle biscuit dough with another packet of ranch or about 2 tbsp. of ranch. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover and bake for 25 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake for another 25 minutes or until biscuits are cooked and nice and browned.

Total calories = 4228 calories
8 huge servings = 529 calories per serving

1 serving Ranch Bacon Pot Pie = 529 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


6 comments:

  1. Thanx for visiting our blog...i hav lot to learn from ur blog,chicken pot pie is my hubby's fav,never tried making at home,thanx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic looking and sounding pot pie - total comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this sounds really good. I like how it is a quick throw together meal with the vegetables and protein all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your sweet comments! :)
    this recipe makes me drool. i LOVE salt too. i read that one can become addicted to salt just like sugar. well, my name is Olivia and I'm a salt addict. we love comfort food in this house. you had me at "biscuit". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just made this. without the turkey bacon and cheddar soup...i can't imagine it tasting better but those are great ingredients(i just didn't have them). soooooo good! i've made pot pie before but this one is the best every. must be the ranch dressing. i also chopped up some chicken thighs i had defrosted but didn't have a plan on what to do with. i found this veggie mix called stew veggies..little round potatoes, onions, celery, carrots. i added water chestnuts and green beans. sprinkling the dressing and garlic powder (and lots of pepper per my taste) on top of the biscuits...to die for! since the buscuits and soup are high calorie, i packed it with veggies so it made a ton. i didn't add any salt and you are right, it doesn't need it. thanks for the recipe and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks seriously delicious! I love it. It's just my type of meal - everything's rolled into one and it's ooey-goey, hearty and comforting!

    ReplyDelete