Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cinnamon & Lime Chicken Fajitas



When I first found this recipe, I thought it sounded fantastic!!


Then I began to doubt myself.


I don't know why. For some reason, as I was cooking it, I started thinking. "A cinnamon fajita? What am I thinking?!" Well, by then the meal was almost done and there was no going back.


Thank goodness because these were awesome! Everyone in the house loved them and were immediately requested again.


Yea!! I love when that happens.






My only slight complaint is that I don't think the p0tatoes really put them over the top or anything. Nothing wrong with potatoes, they are just a bit bland in my opinion. I think that sweet potatoes would be a better choice, I think they would add more flavor and go well with the cinnamon.




Seriously, these were good. The sour cream and cinnamon together were wonderful.

I put cheese as an optional topping but really, these don't need cheese. At all. Which keeps them nice and low cal and healthy. Just the way I like them!






Cinnamon & Lime Chicken Fajitas
Adapted from Allrecipes

1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large baking potatoes, cubed, about 1 1/4 lbs.
1 large onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp. chopped jalapeno
1 lime, juiced, about 1 1/2 tbsp.
10 Whole wheat tortillas

Optional toppings: lettuce, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, green onion

Place potatoes in a shallow baking dish, spray with cooking spray and season with salt. Bake about 40 minutes at 400 until tender and somewhat crispy. Meanwhile, season chicken with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
Arrange in a separate baking dish and bake 30 minutes until cooked, cool and cut into strips or shred. Or do what I did and cut them really thin and brown them on the stovetop with the cinnamon, salt and pepper.
Heat cooking spray in pan and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Mix in chicken, jalapeno and lime juice. Cook until heated through. Serve the chicken and potatoes in warmed tortillas with desired optional toppings. Makes 10 fajitas.

Total calories = 2260
10 servings = 226 calories per fajita

2 Cinnamon & Lime Chicken Fajitas + tomatoes & sour cream = 502 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




3 comments:

  1. I love your idea to change the white potatoes for sweet potatoes! AND i love the cinnamon in here. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound really delicious! I love the cinnamon in them and I think you're so right in saying sweet potatoes would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinnamon fajitas, this is definitely a first for me. However, I am interested to see how they taste.

    ReplyDelete