Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chipotle Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie

This is not your everyday shepherds pie or cottage pie. This is packed full of vegetables and oh-so tasty. I don't know where I got the recipe but I added more veggies than it called for. I always do.

 I think I would even add more next time. I like the idea of making this more southwestern and adding black beans too. I thought about doing that this time but it seems lately that I add a can of beans to almost everything so I restrained myself.

I love chipotles in adobo sauce. You can add them to a lot of sauces for just the right smokey kick. I've added them to chicken salads and tacos .

What is awesome about this meal is that it is great to make ahead. I was able to make this early during nap time (not mine unfortunately) and just stick it in the oven to heat when it's time for dinner. I think next time I make it, I will put it in 2 - 8 x 8 pans and freeze one of them for a future meal. I would imagine it would freeze well.

Chipotle Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie

1 chipotle from a can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 1/4 lbs. peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1 in. pieces
1 cup milk, 1%
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

2 lbs. ground turkey
1 large onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup frozen corn
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 tsp adobo sauce
3 tbsp. steak sauce (I used Heinz 57)
2 tbsp. tomato paste
Salt and pepper
Green onions for garnish

Preheat oven to 400. For topping, remove 1 chile and 1 tsp. adobo sauce, chop chile. Save the rest of the can for other use. Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil, cook 15 minutes or until very tender, drain. Place potatoes, chopped chile, adobo sauce, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth.

For filling, cook beef in large skillet until browned, remove and drain. Heat pan again, coat with cooking spray, add onion and carrots, saute for about 6- 7 minutes, add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes until tender. Return beef to pan, stir in peas and remaining 6 ingredients, cook for a few minutes. Spoon beef into a 9 x 13 pan, top with sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Total calories = 2825 calories
6 huge servings = 454 calories per serving

1 serving Chipotle Shepherds Pie = 471 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


  1. What a delicious twist on the traditional shepherds pie! I love chipotles - they sound so good with sweet potatoes.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. This was amazing ... even my 3 year old loved it! I put a can of black beans in place of the peas but other then that I followed the recipe as you posted it. The portions are indeed generous!!!!

  4. Why have I never thought to make shepherds pie with sweet potatoes! This is BRILLIANT!

  5. hmmm, making it now; surprised at how very spicy the sweet potato topping is . . . not sure my guys are going to like it. Do you think I did something wrong?

    1. Hi, the directions say to use one pepper from the can. Sometimes they are different sizes and yours might have been large, making it more spicy. Sorry about that, I should have warned you how spicy those things can be!

  6. awesome. I did this with the boca crumbles and added some squash that I had left. Delicious.