Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cheesy Cornbread Muffins





I love corn muffins. So much that I can't make them too often. Seriously, they can be a dangerous thing around here.


I got this lower calorie cornbread muffin recipe from Hungry Girl, she really makes some amazing recipes. She dropped the calories even further by using fat free sour cream and reduced fat cheddar cheese but I didn't have those on hand so we went with the light sour cream and regular cheddar cheese. It only upped the calories per muffin by 12 calories a piece. I can live with that.


I would have loved to add more onion and some hot sauce to flavor them up a bit more but my kids wouldn't have gone for that. They were appalled by what little green there was from the green onion as it was. I dared not add anything else to them or I would have been left to eat alone the 12 muffins. Oh and I could have. Really, really.


I made a fantastic chili to go along with these bad boys and we were all licking the dishes clean on this meal.







Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
Adapted from Hungry Girl

1 cup canned cream style corn
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (egg beaters)
1/2 cup sour cream, light
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped scallions (I added less because of the kids)
2 tbsp. splenda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Optional: 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (I would have gladly put this in but for my weenie kids who wouldn't want zippy corn muffins)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, cornmeal, splenda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together all other ingredients, then add contents of the small bowl into the large one, and stir until well mixed. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray, evenly distribute muffin batter among the cups. Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the muffins are firm and a light golden brown. Cool and enjoy!

Total calories = 1165 calories
12 muffins = 97 calories per muffin

1 1/2 servings chili + 1 cheesy cornbread muffin = 456 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




3 comments:

  1. I don't think there isn't a time where corn muffins are not acceptable. You can eat them with breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack. I love them, so I am always looking for new ways of making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just had some for breakfast. yum, i will keep this recipe on hand for next time i make chili. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but I just came across it via search engine looking for a recipe. Also found the original at the Hungry Girl site, and wanted to point out that you are missing the 1/2 cup cornmeal in you ingredients list!
    I used real eggs, and wasn't sure what the equivalent was. I used two eggs based on a recommendation, but they came out a bit "spongey". Next time I'll try one egg.
    Overall a great recipe, perfect with chili. I also might try with pepperjack cheese or a blend of cheeses. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete