Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Blueberry Zucchini Mini Loaves



I know, I know. It's not blueberry season in Minnesota. But I just wanted something sweet and tasty and they sounded so good!!!


The blueberries were a bit tart but I think that worked good in this. Bread? Cake? Muffins? That seems to be a debate around here.


I think I was going for more bread but this is sweet so it really is like cake. So clearly with all the sugar I really didn't want bread, did I? I think because the cake part was so sweet, the tart blueberries contrasted well.


This recipe is the combination of a couple of recipes I've found so it's not really from one source. I did cut the oil and replaced egg with egg beaters and added some applesauce. Those results turned out wonderful I think.


I wanted to replace some of the sugar with splenda but I wanted to give some to a friend who doesn't eat splenda so we went for all sugar. Plus I'm not too good yet at knowing how much to replace, I haven't had good results with subbing ALL sugar with splenda. I think if I were to make this again (and I will when blueberries really are in season), I would put in 3/4 - 1 cup of splenda and the rest regular sugar. That would be a bit less than half.


I also would have liked to switch out for some whole wheat flour but I didn't have any. It was on the grocery list but it somehow got forgotten so we went with all regular all purpose flour. I didn't have as much zucchini as I would have liked either. I was looking to put more like 2 cups in there but ended up with only 1 1/2 cups.








Despite all of my thoughts for changing the recipe. It doesn't NEED to be changed at all. These were serious good eats just the way they were. My mind just can't help but try to healthify and try to make it lower calorie if possible. But then I hate to do too much or you sacrifice taste.


These really were good, no sacrificing taste here. I hope everyone whom I gave one, thinks so too! I hated to give them away but I really would have eaten too many otherwise.





Blueberry Zucchini Mini Loaves

3/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries, or 2 cups

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease mini loaf pans.

Mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl, set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg beaters, oil, vanilla, applesauce and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Mix in the flour mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini loaf pan. I filled my loaves up about 3/4 the way and got 8 mini loaves.

Bake 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.

Total calories = 4408 calories
8 mini loaves = 551 calories per mini loaf

1/3 of a mini loaf = 184 calorie breakfast or snack



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



4 comments:

  1. Lov blueberries in my baking..looks too good n healthy one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks and sounds delicious! That is certainly a lot of sugar and I would definitely swap it with at least half brown sugar Splenda. I've had some great results doing that and some flops too. The applesauce makes it nice and moist, I'm sure. Wonder how some lemon zest would work with it. It seems to go great with blueberries most of the time. I will try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not bread or cake - it's quickbread! I love adding blueberries to baked goods. I made like five different kinds of blueberry muffins this summer and loved them all. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including a great recipe! Nothing beats a slice of this bread with coffee for a mid-morning break!

    ReplyDelete