Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Vinegar and Coarse Salt Chipotle Roasted Potatoes


So Kristen over at Dine and Dish has a cool little adopt-a-blogger thing going on right now. Basically, a bunch of newbies get paired up with a more experienced blogger to serve as their "mentor". It sounded interesting so I signed up, what did I have to lose. I certainly don't know everything about the blogging world (or much at all actually). So I am paired up with Lys from Cooking in Stiletto's. She has a great blog with a bunch of fantastic recipes.

She just wrote up one that she got from Ingrid Hoffman from The Food Network for Vinegar Chipotle Roasted Potatoes and Coarse Salt . I was making steak tonight and was in need for a side dish. The husband is quite the meat and potatoes kind of guy so I knew this would work great.

These were good, I liked the flavor of the spices and the salt. I did leave off the olive oil so I'm sure there would have been extra flavor from that but they were good without it. I just sprayed a bit of cooking spray on them and with the vinegar and spices, they were fine.

The steak were just No Name Steaks marinated in a bit of garlic and worcestershire sauce with a lot of steak seasoning and pepper. It was a good meal. Thanks, Lys!





Vinegar & Salt Chipotle Roasted Potatoes

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
6 small or 4 large russet potatoes (I used about 2 lbs.)
Cooking spray
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
1 small red onion, cut into small wedges

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, cumin and chili powder. Slice potaoes into 1 in. chunks. Toss potatoes with vinegar mixture. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Spray cooking spray over potatoes adn place them in a single layer on a baking pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered fro 40 minutes, stirring occcasionally. Remove potatoes from oven, add onions and mix together. Return pan to oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes. If still not fully roasted, add another 15 minutes to the time.
Total calories = 889 calories
5 servings = 178 calories per serving
1 steak + 1 tbsp. Heinz 57 + Vinegar and Salt Roasted Potatoes + green beans = 408 calorie dinner
Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks great! I love potatoes and vinegar so I am sure I would enjoy this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I have a roasted potato recipe coming up this week too! :o)

    ReplyDelete