Monday, February 22, 2010

Very Veggie Chicken Fajitas

I had nothing planned for dinner tonight. I hate when that happens. Often that means pizza or something incredibly unhealthy. I really have a lot of food around here so I debated between chicken stir fry or chicken fajitas. Hmmm... I liked the idea of fajitas so we would have lots of leftovers for the week. But I had quite a lot of veggies that needed to go. So I went with fajitas with extra veggies that I don't always put in them. They turned out really good. I personally could have nixed the chicken altogether and just went with veggies but the meat eaters of the family would have attacked.

I added zucchini and carrots that I don't usually put in fajitas. They turned out very well and I liked how the veggies seemed to be the main focus rather than the chicken.






The extra carrot and zucchini pretty much disappeared. That was good for the ones in the house who don't think zucchini and carrots belong in fajitas but good for me that I got to use up some more vegetables and make this meal go further without adding many calories at all. Feel free to add any other spices that make you happy. I keep them pretty mild for the masses and I those who want more spice just add it to their own.


This makes a lot of food. We will keep this in our frig and eat it for lunches over the next few days but we have froze it before works well.





Very Veggie Chicken Fajitas

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into strips
1 1/2 tbsp. fajita seasoning, or use whatever spice you have
1/2 tsp. adobo seasoning
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
3 peppers, I used a yellow, an orange and a red
2 large onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 fairly large jalapeno, minced
2 zucchini, sliced into strips
2 carrots, shredded or sliced into very thin strips
1 cup corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 green onions
2 plum tomatoes
handful of cilantro
Optional toppings: sour cream, lettuce, cheese, avocado

Cook chicken with cooking spray and spices until done and slightly browned. Remove and place in bowl. Add onions, peppers and carrots to pan and cook for about 6 - 7 minutes until tender. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini, corn, black beans, green onions and cilantro and cook for about 5 - 6 minutes or until everything is hot. Makes 18 - 1/2 cup servings.

Total calories = 1580
18 slightly heaping 1/2 cup portions = 88 calories per portion

2 1/2 Chicken Fajita portions + 2 - 100 calorie soft shell tortillas + 1 - 50 calorie hard taco shell + sour cream = 490 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments: