Saturday, February 6, 2010

Veggie Burgers

These were good, but not great. I think they could have been great though.


I first saw this on Dairy Free Betty who got it from Oh She Glows. They looked amazing. She used spelt flour which I have not used but have heard good things about. I used whole wheat flour but I wish I had used the spelt or regular flour. They tasted a bit too floury for me and I think it was because of the whole wheat flour.


Also I SO wished I had pumpkin seeds and spinach to put in these. So I just used the sunflower seeds (which are fantastic in this) and threw in some cilantro. The recipe I used is below but check out Oh She Glows so you can see how she did it. Really, these could be made so many different ways and I am eager to try them again.


I used some garlic yogurt from my middle eastern experiment on these and that was wonderful! Red pepper spread would be awesome too. I put my burger on a 100 calorie Arnold Select sandwich thin which I think are phenomenal.






Veggie Burgers

1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
3 fresh basil leaves or 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. adobo seasoning
1 clove minced garlic
small handful cilantro
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 375 and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place all ingredients except the seeds and flour into a food processor. Process until mixture is blended well. Remove mixture and put into a large bowl, add seeds and stir well. Add the flour slowly, stirring until well blended. Shape into patties and bake for 15 minutes and then flip and bake for another 10 minutes.

Total calories = 940 calories
9 patties = 104 calories per patty

1 veggie burger on 100 calorie bun + tomato and garlic yogurt + 2 leftover stuffed zucchini boats = 402 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

1 comment:

  1. I think these could definitely have some potential. Especially with that delicious garlic yogurt sauce!

    I have some bean burger recipes on my blog that I really love and that are super low calorie. You should check them out!

    ReplyDelete