Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Turkey Chipotle Tacos




Have I mentioned that I love tortillas? Maybe. I love tortillas and how you can put so many different things on them. Taco's of course, are the most familiar to the tortilla. Taco meat just makes the tortilla happy. And me too of course.

I especially love how quick and easy taco meat is to make. When I make it, I make a ton so I can freeze it for future use. The many uses of taco meat. Soft shell tacos, hard shell tacos, tostados, taco salads, nachos...are you thinking about the shrimp scene from Forest Gump yet??


Can't get the kids to eat beans? Put them in the taco meat and they will never know they are in there. Trust me.

The chipotles add an awesome flavor. If you don't have the canned with adobo sauce, just use chipotle chili powder and you will get a similar flavor.

Today we were low on the optionals for taco fixings. I would have loved to add avocado or tomato. I was even low on lettuce and had to use salad lettuce. Hey, whatever works. They were delicious and now I have a freezer full of taco meat.





Turkey Chipotle Tacos

2.5 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
3 cups medium salsa
1 can refried beans
1 chipotle pepper with adobo sauce
Salt
Optional toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, cheese, or sour cream

Brown ground turkey. Add salt as desired. Add salsa and refried beans. Stir and heat. Chop chipotle pepper finely and add to taco meat. I added a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce as well. Add as desired, taste for spicyness. Cook for 10 minutes for flavors to combine. Serve on 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas or over lettuce.

Total calories = 2270
8 cup = 284 calories per cup
1/3 cup taco meat = 95 calories

2 Turkey Chipotle Tacos with lettuce, onions & sour cream = 430 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




2 comments:

  1. hmmm...facinating. i never thought to put refried beans with taco meat. i have a few cans collecting dust in my pantry, ff beans, of course. i'll have to make some of this. we LOVE any mexican type food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tacos are right up there with sandwiches in my book - I love them because they are super versatile and you can stuff them with anything...and they'll still taste great. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete