Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole



This recipe goes way back. Way back to when I was first married and really didn't know how to cook. There weren't too many meals like this that I made. It was all pretty much tacos, sloppy joes and frozen pizza back then. We ate out a lot.


This is a wonderful dish but for some reason I just haven't made it for several years. I think we got out of making things with rice and I just kept passing it over. When I finally did find this recipe my archives, I noticed it called for 1/2 tsp. ginger. My first thought was, real ginger or ground ginger? Duh! Then I remembered that back 10,000 years ago when I made this, I didn't even know what real ginger WAS!


A lot has changed, that's for sure, but this is still an outstanding dish and the calories were not bad at all despite the rice! 4 of us at this and there were NO leftovers.


The only change I made from the original recipe was to use brown minute rice instead of white. I still keep a small box of brown rice for the husband who still likes his asian food over rice instead of broccoli. I also buy the pineapple chunks in the huge cans so I used 2 cups pineapple and 1/2 cup juice which is probably about what a regular 20 oz. can is.









Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole

1 lb. chicken, cut into cubes
1 green or red pepper, chopped (I had red today)
1 cup carrot strips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups pineapple chunks with 1/2 cup of juice (about 1 can)
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice (about 1 small can)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. brown sugar splenda blend
3 tbsp. vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 1/2 cups Minute Brown Rice

Cook chicken until browned. Add peppers, carrots, onion and garlic, cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add broth, pineapple with juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and ginger. Bring to a boil, stir in rice. Cover. Cook on low for about 10 - 15 minutes until rice is cooked and there isn't much liquid left. Stir occasionally.

Total calories = 1979 calories
5 servings = 396 calories per serving

1 serving Sweet and Sour Chicken Casserole + 1 small salad = 456 calories



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



3 comments:

  1. I wish I had the ingredients so that I could make this tonight. It sounds really good and I love how this is a one pan dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen sweet and sour chicken around the blogosphere a lot today! Love it. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I know a lot of people who are scared of real ginger! It is a little weird looking, I guess.

    ReplyDelete