Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Split Pea Soup with Ham


I had bought a super duper cheap ham during the holidays for like $8 or something. We got a lot out of that ham. Leftovers I chop up and add to tons of things eggs, quinoa, potato toppings, the list is endless. We love ham here. Then the ham hock goes into the crock pot for some sort of delicious soup. Today we have split pea.

My dad loves split pea soup. I mainly make it for him. I like it and will eat it but it's green. I have a hard time with it because it's green. Odd, huh. So I ate a big bowl, my daughter ate a bowl and then I packed up the rest for grandpa. He loved it and will eat it for many days.


Split Pea Soup with Ham

6 cups water
1 ham bone with leftover ham
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1 large onion
1 lb. split peas
2 bay leaves
3 small chicken bouillion cubes

Place water, ham bone, bay leaves and chicken bouillion in crock pot on high heat for about 4 - 5 hours. Remove ham bone and remove any leftover ham and add ham back to crockpot. Add veggies and cook on low heat for about 3 - 4 hours or until veggies are desired consistency. I like my soup pretty thick and chunky so feel free to add water if you like it thinner. My peas dissolved so there was no need for me to puree as I like it chunky.

Total calories = about 2150
Yield about 10 cups = about 215 calories per cup**

**I didn't measure how much ham went in the soup so the calories are an approximation.

1 1/2 cups soup + 1 salad = 398 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


1 comment:

  1. I really like this recipe! Super yummy!

    ReplyDelete