Monday, February 8, 2010

Maple Orange Chicken with Squash & Sweet Potatoes




Ok, I know I've done the orange squash thing before but it is SOOOOO good! Really, really. These chicken breasts were super moist and tender and the flavor was fantastic. I loved the orange marmalade with this. The low sugar stuff tastes excellent and you won't be missing anything but the extra calories.

This was from a Food Network Robin Miller recipe. I subbed butternut squash rather than acorn squash because it's easier to peel and I just like it better. I also used onion instead of leeks. I love orange flavor so this was a definite winner for me. Plus, anything I can throw in the crock pot by 10 am is a great thing too.





Maple Orange Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2 in. pieces (I used about 1 lb)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 in. pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 boneless chicken breasts (I used 4 - 6 oz. breasts)
Salt and pepper
1 cup low sugar orange marmalade
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. maple syrup

Place squash, sweet potatoes and onions in the crockpot. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables in crock pot. In a medium bowl, combine orange marmalade and remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. Garnish with green onions if desired.

Total calories = 1748 calories
4 servings = 437 calories per serving

Maple Chicken with Squash and Sweet Potatoes = 437 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


3 comments:

  1. Winter squash is so yummy. I love my slow cooker. I have healthy recipes that I post on my slow cooking blog if you are interested. (http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this meal looks fantastic and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My motto is that you can never have too many winter squash recipes (or crockpot recipes for that matter). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete