Friday, February 26, 2010

Honey Sesame Pineapple Chicken


I'm not a cook. Not at all. In fact, I've always claimed that I really don't LIKE to cook. So cooking has always been about quick and convenience. Thus I often called on Manwich to help me with sloppy joes or Old El Paso to get me through tacos. Convenient prepackaged foods were used weekly in my house to help with the chore of cooking. It's only been in the last couple of years that I have dared venture away from them and try actually cook and prepare the food myself. Once I started reading labels and practicing with flavors, it got easier, healthier and tastier! Plus, now I actually enjoy cooking and coming up with new things. Shush! Don't tell!


All that being said...


I still use packets for some things. Like this meal. I don't know if these Asian seasoning packets are available but I get them at Cub or Walmart in the Asian section. We've tried most and this one and the Kung Pao Chicken are the best, the others are just mediocre. Although the Kung Pao chicken I made was way better than the packet. Anyways, I still like to make this meal with the seasoning mix and it turns out delicious. I could probably experiment and come up with something healthier and tasty but for now, for this meal, the packet works.



I change the recipe a bit from what they have on the back and it's great. It's one of our favorites and very simple. I use Splenda to cut the calories quite a bit and it tastes great. I find in baked desserts, I can sometimes taste the difference with Splenda but in meals like this, I haven't been able to tell the difference at all.


As usual for me, I put this over broccoli rather than rice. I LOVE broccoli and really don't like rice enough to justify the carbs and calories. I'd rather save my carbs and calories for the chocolate donut that was brought into the house that I just KNOW I am going to have for dessert!




Honey Sesame Pineapple Chicken

1 1/2 lbs. chicken, cut into bite size chunks
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 cup Splenda
1 can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 - Sunbird Honey Sesame Chicken packets
Green onion for garnish

Marinate chicken in soy sauce and cornstarch for about 5 - 10 minutes. Heat pan with cooking spray and cook chicken until done. While chicken is cooking, put pineapple, seasoning packets, sesame oil and sugar in a medium bowl and stir to combine. When chicken is done cooking, add pineapple mixture to chicken and cook until hot and slightly thickened. Serve over rice or broccoli.

Total calories = 1865 calories
4 servings = 466 calories per serving

1 serving Honey Sesame Pineapple Chicken + broccoli = 516 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


3 comments:

  1. Sometimes after a long day, a seasoning packet is just a necessary thing. I have to say this sounds quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this packet before but I will definitely keep an eye out for it. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese is one of my favorite meals. Especially orange chicken or Kung Pao (not tooo hot). I have to try more of these types of recipes. I love broccoli too, especially with teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds. Sesame oil is very, very good. I only recently started experimenting with it.

    ReplyDelete