Monday, February 15, 2010

Ham, Egg & Cheese Quesadillas




I made a huge ham last week. It was one of those super cheap ones I got around the holidays. So we had extra ham to use up. My kids LOVE ham and it's the one thing that isn't a struggle to get them to eat. These little quesadilla's were perfect. I would have loved to put some green chiles or some spice in the eggs but that would have rendered them useless to the children as no amount of delicious ham in there would have caused them to eat them. So they are pretty basic but the spicy sour cream helped for me. I just mixed about 1 tbsp. sour cream and 1 tbsp. salsa for dipping.
I didn't really measure everything for this recipe. So I sorta used approximations in the recipe below. It is pretty close to accurate but I didn't measure how much egg mixture I actually put on the tortilla. This is the kind of recipe that could be made a zillion ways with whatever you like in your eggs. Here is my nicely toasted tortilla with the egg and cheese melting.





Then I added some more green onion and tomato to the egg mixture. I folded it in half, cut it into wedges and dipped it into the nummy spicy sour cream.



Hubs actually dressed his in the pan and put the spicy sour cream on the tortilla and ate it like a giant taco. Works the same but mine was prettier. :-)

Update:  I've been eating gluten free so I've been eating these with corn tortillas. I pretty much eat these every morning with asiago cheese on the top. It's delicious!



Ham, Egg and Cheese Quesadillas

5 eggs
5 egg whites
1/4 cup milk
1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red pepper
Seasoning salt and pepper
2 green onion
5 tbsp. cheese (I use asiago cheese)
5 whole wheat 100 calorie tortillas
Toppings: Green onions, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa

Saute onion and red pepper in cooking spray for about 2 - 3 minutes. Add ham and saute for 2 -3 more minutes. In separate bowl, add eggs, egg whites and milk and whisk together. Add egg mixture to the ham mixture and cook until eggs are done. Add seasonings as cooking to taste. Add 1 green onion when eggs are cooked. Toast tortillas add egg mixture on 1/2 tortilla, add 1 tbsp. cheese and desired toppings. Mix 1 tbsp. sour cream and 1 tbsp. salsa for spicy sour cream dipping sauce.

Total calories = 1370
5 Quesadillas = 274 calories per quesadillas

1 Ham, Egg & Cheese Quesadilla + spicy sour cream + hash browns + cantaloupe = 504 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. Quesadillas make such great throw-together meals. You can basically put anything in them and they are guaranteed to taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great breakfast/brunch food. Or even dinner, we love things like this for dinner.

    ReplyDelete