Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Pasta Salad




This is my youngest sons favorite meal. He seriously does a happy dance when I make this for him. This makes a lot. It's great to take to picnics. Here, my son eats practically the whole batch. Not a shining moment for mom but hey, it makes the kid happy for a couple of days. So when the grocerys run low and there isn't much in the house, it's chicken salad night.
This is the only meal that I made with canned chicken. I actually buy the canned chicken JUST for this salad. I've tried making it with "real" chicken and the kids just don't like it as much. So I stick with the canned chicken. If I were to make this just for myself (as if), I would add more onion, more veggies and probably some garlic salt to liven it up a bit. As it is, it is very good, not the lowest calorie or lowest carb meal but tasty. And, totally worth it to see the son do the happy dance.




Chicken Pasta Salad

1 lb. small shells
2 cans chicken breast (12.5 oz each)
1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
1 cup miracle whip light
1/4 cup fat free ranch dressing
1 tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, reduced fat
1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas

Cook noodles according to directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Dump noodles in large bowl. Add onions. In small bowl, combine miracle whip, ranch, mustard, celery salt and pepper. Add to noodle and stir. Add peas and cheese and stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.

Total calories = 3100 calories
12 cups = 258 calories per cup

1 1/2 cups chicken pasta salad + 1/2 apple = 437 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



1 comment:

  1. You knwo it must be a winner if your son will eat the whole thing! I'm honestly not a fan of mayo-based salads but I bet I would love it with some greek yogurt subbed in.

    ReplyDelete