Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chicken Egg Foo Yung




I remember my dad ordering chinese for us about once a month when we were young. He'd get chow mein and egg foo yung. The egg foo yung was our favorite. It really was the reason to get chinese in the first place. We all loved it. I grew up rating chinese restaurants based on their quality of egg foo yung.

Then I learned to make it.

That was a glorious day. The fact that it is SOOOOO much healthier than restaurant egg foo yung is just a bonus. They fry it in a ton of oil which, come on, is really why it tastes so incredibly delicious. Mine is simply fried on a non stick pan with some cooking spray. Mine is incredibly delicious too. Really, really.

The sauce is the key I think.

The whole thing is fantastic but the sauce is what makes it egg foo yung to me. Interestingly, I don't use much sauce at restaurants though. Hmmm...

Here they are floating around in the pan being cooked. By the way, anybody know actually how to spell it? Egg fu young? Egg foo yung? Egg fu yung? There seems to be many different spellings.

This is linked with Ingredient Spotlight: Soy Sauce at Eat At Home.  Check out more soy sauce recipes!







*** While I have made this many, many times, we did change it this time. I used egg beaters instead of half whole eggs and half egg whites. They tasted the same but didn't stay together as well and many didn't form as patties they way they usually do. I had to pick and choose to get a couple for the picture. I'm not sure if the egg beaters just didn't bind them as well or what. They still tasted awesome but didn't present as well. My pan has seen better days too and the non stick isn't as non stick as it should be so it's time to replace it. I don't know if it was the pan or the egg beaters causing them to crumble or a combination of the two. So even though the calories and fat were lower with the egg beaters, I think that I will stick with half whole eggs and half egg whites. I think that 6 eggs and 12 egg whites would work or however you want to do it.

Variations: feel free to add mushrooms or green peas.



Chicken Egg Foo Yung

1 carton + 1/2 cup egg beaters ***see note above
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 medium finely chopped onion
1 or 2 green onions
1 can bean sprouts
1 can water chestnuts, diced
2 cup chopped cooked chicken, 10 oz.
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Foo Yung Sauce
4 small cubes of chicken bouillion
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 1/2 tsp. splenda
2 tbsp. soy sauce
5 tbsp. cold water
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch

Cook celery in sauce pan for about 5 - 6 minutes to soften. I do this otherwise the celery is a bit too crunchy in the egg foo yung. Let the celery cool. Mix celery, onion, bean sprouts, chicken, salt and pepper. Stir in the eggs. Heat cooking spray in pan, brown egg mixture 1/2 cup at a time on both sides until done.

To make sauce: Dissolve the bouillion in the hot water in a small saucepan, add sugar and soy sauce and blend well over medium heat. Combine cornstarch with a bit of cold water to dissolve and stir into the bouillion mixture until thick and smooth. Serve over the Egg Foo Yung.

Total calories = 1157
13 patties big 1/2 cup patties = 89 calories per patty

4 Egg Foo Yung + 1 egg roll = 476 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




2 comments:

  1. I've heard of Egg Fu Young, of course, but I've never seen it and I've never eaten it. Going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mr. orders this every time we go to the local restaurant. I tried it this past weekend and vowed to find a recipe. I am so glad that you have made it, your recipes always turn out perfect.

    ReplyDelete