Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cheese Ravioli Bake with Italian Broccoli

Ravioli. It just sounds like a cool word doesn't it? Sadly, when I think of ravioli I think of the cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli that plop out in a tomato-y glop and are only slightly edible. I'd never made REAL ravioli before this. Well, this is frozen so maybe it's not as real as it could be. It was delicious however.

I don't know where I got the recipe for this but I changed and altered it quite a bit as making it so it hardly resembles the recipe anyways. I often just think of recipes as stepping off points just to get you started.
So we started with the ravioli. I got cheese, it called for chicken, really any kind would work. It called for refrigerated ravioli, I used frozen. Again, does it really matter? I upped the onion, pepper and spices because I really wanted this sauce to TASTE good. And it did.

They also told me to use 4 cans of whole tomatoes which I didn't have. So I used 3 cans of diced tomatoes and a can of rotel. Well, they must yield a LOT more sauce because I had a LOT of sauce leftover.


Hmmm... So what to do with the sauce. I was thinking about adding some green to the menu anyways and even thought about adding the broccoli right with the ravioli but that would have required a larger pan and I just didn't feel like going there. SO. I just cooked the broccoli right in with the extra sauce. This resulted in an extraordinary dish of italian broccoli.



When it was done, we decided that we liked the ravioli on top the best. It was slightly crispy from the oven and not as slimy and wet. Though slimy and wet ARE scrumptious too! But, if I make it again, (and I so will), I will put it in a 9 x 13 pan and make it a bit thinner. That way more of the ravioli will get crispier.
Also, annoying and long as it was, when I did make my first ravioli, they were outstanding. Really tasty. SO, I think that I would rather use homemade ravioli instead of the frozen next time. Frozen or refrigerated is nice in a pinch but the homemade just rocked my world. I didn't care for the whole dough rolling process but if I can find some pre done ravioli doughs (which I know they have I just haven't used them), I will go that route.





Cheesy Ravioli Bake with Broccoli

1 - 24 oz. cheese ravioli, I used frozen Rosetto
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped (I had red)
1 tsp. dried oregano
4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can rotel tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1/4 cup each colby jack and parmesan cheese (recipe called for 1/4 cup mozzarella but I didn't have any)
1 lb. broccoli

Bring pot with water to boiling, add frozen ravioli. Turn heat down and cook for 5 - 6 minutes until they begin to float. Drain and set aside. heat large skillet with cooking spray, add onion, pepper, oregano. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 1 - 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, white wine, spices and tomatoes. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add pasta to tomato sauce. Spoon pasta into an 8 in. square dish*** (see note below) coated with cooking spray. Leave some of the tomato sauce in the pan to use for the broccoli, I kept probably about 2 cups of sauce out. Sprinkle ravioli evenly with cheese. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Throw broccoli in with the extra sauce, cook for about 8 minutes until cooked. You may need to add some water if your sauce is dry, mine wasn't.

***Place in 9 x 13 pan if you want the ravioli's to be slightly more crunchy all over. Heating time may need to be adjusted.

Total calories = 2061
4 servings = 515 calories

1 serving Cheese Ravioli Bake with Broccoli = 515 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.






3 comments:

  1. I LOVE ravioli. It is my absolute favorite type of pasta. this dish looks fantastic. I know what you mean about the crisp factor....so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbi, thank you so much for writing about RO*TEL. We love this recipe and think you should enter it into our recipe contest for a chance to win $2,000. For more info visit http://www.rotelacrossamerica.com

    - The RO*TEL Across America Team

    ReplyDelete