Thursday, February 18, 2010

Carrots with Maple Balsamic Browned Butter



I grew up hating cooked carrots. I also grew up for much of my childhood with a single father who loved frozen TV dinners, frozen pot pies and hamburger helper. I still can't eat a frozen pot pie. So I've always said that I don't like cooked carrots, yet I think the only cooked carrots I ever had were the ones in a TV dinner. So I'm sure you completely understand why I have held on to this loathing of cooked carrots.

Throughout the years, they've been growing on me as I add them to roasts, stews and soups.

Hmmm... They aren't really that bad. In fact, they are quite good when prepared better.

Now that I know how to flavor them correctly and add delicious spices, herbs and sweetener, they are MUCH more enjoyable. I really, really liked these. They resembled nothing close to the TV dinner carrots from long ago. Thank goodness.
I ate this with meatloaf tonight. I've had this in the freezer for a long time and didn't write down the recipe when I made it. It was fantastic and made with ground turkey, salsa and oatmeal. Super healthy and delicious. I'll make it again and write down the recipe when I do.





Carrots with Maple Balsamic Browned Butter

1 lb sliced peeled carrots
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley (I used jarred, I didn't have any fresh)

Steam carrots, covered, for about 15 minutes or until tender. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook butter for about 4 -6 minutes or until lightly browned and you get that nutty smell. Yum. Stir in syrup, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add carrots, cook for another minute until heated stirring to coat. Stir in parsley.

Total calories = 338 calories
4 servings = 85 calories per serving

Meatloaf + AuGratin potatoes + Maple Balsamic Carrots = 500 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. I used to be the exact same way about carrots! Then I had them prepared like this. And fell head over heels in love. Gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yummy! My family swears they hate carrots but I need to find a way to fix them that they won't. Will have to try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete