Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Apple Juice Pork with Squash & Golden Raisins


Is it just me or do you think of the Brady Bunch when you hear the words "Pork chops and applesauce"? Specifically, Peter Brady saying it in a Bogart - ish way and I remember seeing it on the blackboard in the kitchen. I feel really old now. I seriously thought about that like 10 times while making this meal even thought it's not applesauce, it's apple juice. Close enough.


We don't eat a whole lot of pork chops around here. We're more chicken people. I was actually going to sub chicken for this recipe when I found some pork chops in the freezer. So pork it was! I do pick them up when they are a fantastic price and I just can't resist.

We had 4 very thick chops so I cut them in half lengthwise and made 8 smaller chops. That made them cook much faster. This recipe says to put them in the oven after they are browned which we didn't even have to do as ours were so thin. They are drier that way so you're probably better off sticking with the thick ones.


The original recipe also told me that I would have to boil the extra liquid and serve it over the pork chops but I didn't have any extra liquid. So if you want more liquid, I would up the juices. I just cut my pork chop and ate it right with the squash. It was very good. I ate a ton of the squash. Really.

This is linked with Ingredient Spotlight: Beef/Port at Eat at Home








Apple Juice Pork with Squash & Golden Raisins

2 lbs. pork loin chops
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup apple juice
1/2 butternut squash (about 1 lb), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 in. pieces
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage (I used 1/2 tsp. dried sage)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat cooking spray and add pork chops and brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a oven proof dish and tent with foil, place in oven.

Add more cooking spray to pan and add onion and cook for about 2 minutes, scraping up any bits off pan. Stir in the apple juice, squash, raisins and sage, season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve pork with the squash and any pan sauce.

Total calories for 8 pork chops = 1071
8 pork chops = 134 per pork chop

Total calories for squash with raisins = 575 calories
4 servings = 144 calories per serving

1 pork chop + 2 serving Squash with Raisins + 1 cups broccoli cauliflower salad = 483 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



3 comments:

  1. I actually prefer pork over chicken, times a thousand. This dish looks fantastic. My kind of meal, especially with the squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the taste of butternut and raisins together; never thought of pairing them with pork chops, but come to think of it, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks so good. I bet you could do a version of this in the slow cooker too.

    ReplyDelete