Friday, January 15, 2010

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Stuffing Gravy




This is an old favorite. I love cooking in the crockpot because dinner can be practically "done" by 10 am. Make some quick sides at the end of the day and it's done. This also doesn't have many ingredients making it simpler. What I don't like about this meal, while the crock pot cooking is simple, it seems to require more prep and a lot of dishes. You have to brown the pork chops, make stuffing (instant so it's not THAT hard) and mix soups together. The end result is some darned good pork chops with a delicious gravy though. That makes it worth it and must be while I keep making this recipe over and over.
The calories are for what the recipe calls for. However, we rarely use all the gravy, it makes a lot. I am positive that I didn't use 1/6th of the gravy on my small portion of potatoes and pork chop. I did put a bit extra on my pork as it is delicious. So I quite likely consumed less calories than I think. That's okay, I'll just have an extra bite of the kids' ice cream tonight.


Slow Cooker Pork Chops

4 - 6 pork chops (about 2 lbs.)
1 box pork Stove Top stuffing
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup, 98% fat free
1 onion, sliced in rings

Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops. Brown pork chops in hot skillet, no need to cook through, just get a nice sear on them. Prepare stuffing as directed on the box (I leave out the butter or go really low on it). Mix the 2 cans of soup together. Pour some of the soup mixture in the bottom of the crock pot. Place a few spoonfuls of stuffing in the crock, then place 2 pork chops on top of the stuffing. Add some onions and pour more of the soup mixture over the pork chops. Continue layering until all ingredients are used. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours until pork chops are cooked through. Serve the "stuffing gravy" over mashed potatoes.

Total calories = 2154 calories
6 servings = 359 calories per serving with gravy

1 pork chop + 1/2 cup mashed potatoes with stuffing gravy + roasted Brussels sprouts = 469 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

3 comments:

  1. You can never have too many crock-pot recipes in your back pocket. I have never made pork chops in the crock-pot before but I probably should because I always seem to over cook the meat making it tough and dry. I think I will have to go out and pick up a couple of pork chops to try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crockpot recipes definitely require more work early on, but they are so nice to come home to! I love this recipe...stovetop can be quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is similar to a recipe I use, but mine doesn't have the stuffing and onion - both are fantastic additions!

    ReplyDelete