Saturday, January 16, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts



This was an experiment for me. I am not a Brussels sprout fan. Though it had been many, many years since I last had one. I read a post from Elise from Simply Recipes that her dad hates Brussels sprouts but he liked these roasted ones. So I thought, if he can try them and like them, so can I. They were fairly inexpensive, healthy and very low calorie so I thought I'd give them a whirl. They weren't bad. Still not my favorite vegetable but not bad. She says that salting is key and I would agree. I used a lot of salt on these, though I love salt anyways. So if you're a Brussels sprout fan, go ahead and try these. I pretty much used her exact recipe but I just used cooking spray instead of olive oil. I'm sure the olive oil would have tasted better but I just couldn't rationalize that many calories.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1 lb. Brussels sprouts, rinsed and end trimmed
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil (I just shot them with cooking spray about 4 or 5 times)
Salt and plenty of it
Pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Brussels sprouts in a cast iron frying pan (or a roasting pan, but a cast iron frying pan will work great for this recipe). Toss in the garlic. Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with lemon juice. Toss with oil so that the sprouts are well coated. Sprinkle generously with salt (at least a half teaspoon) and a few turns of black pepper.
Put Brussels sprouts in oven on top rack, cook for 20 minutes, then stir so that the sprouts get coated with the oil in the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes. Then sprinkle with Parmesan (if using) and cook for another 5 minutes.
The sprouts should be nicely browned, some of the outside leaves crunchy, the interior should be cooked through.
Add more salt to taste. (Salting sufficiently is the key to success with this recipe.)


I just made a small amount of these for myself and I ate them with this.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I made something like this for Christmas, soo good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bought sprouts yesterday just to make this. i've put them in my green smoothies (but that tends to give me heart burn) and i've had them steamed or pan fried but never roasted. i look forward to trying it. they are so good for you. have you seen how brussel sprouts grow? it's so cool! i saw it on wikapedia and then actually found them for sale on the stalk at one specialty grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good! husband never had brusprouts before. he tolerated them. i prefer it room temp. prob even better the next day. i need to roast more veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love roasted brussel sprouts! I steam mine first until they are almost done, then put them on a cookie sheet and toss with garlic oil and salt and pepper, then roast them in the oven until they get that delicious char on the outside.

    ReplyDelete