Thursday, January 28, 2010

Monte Cristo Sandwich




Ok, this was fun to make and fun to eat. I had never made or eaten a Monte Cristo sandwich before. From what I understand, it is a ham and cheese sandwich, that is battered and deep fried. Wow, that's my kind of sandwich. But basically anything deep fried has to be good, right?

This is quite the healthified version, I don't know where I saw the original recipe but I did make changes to it. I didn't need as much of the milk mixture as it called for nor did I choose to dip the entire sandwich in the milk mixture. I was afraid that the bread would just get super soggy that way so I chose to spread or spoon the milk mixture on which seemed to work fine. Also, while I thought it amusing to put raspberry jam on a ham sandwich, I opted for a teaspoon rather than the tablespoon the recipe called for. That seemed plenty. This was good though, I enjoyed it.


Monte Cristo Sandwich

4 tsp. honey mustard
8 slices of bread, I used Wonder Whole Wheat 55 calorie bread
4 (1 oz) slices swiss cheese
12 (1 oz) slices of ham
1/4 cup milk, 1 %
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tsp. powdered sugar
4 tsp. seedless raspberry jam

Spread 1 tsp. mustard over each bread slice. Place 1 cheese slices and 3 pieces of ham on each bread slice. Cover with bread slices, mustard side down. Combine milk and egg whites in a dish, using a spoon, spread milk mixture on one side of sandwich and place in pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon more of the milk mixture on the other side of the sandwich and flip and cook for about 3 more minutes. Spread with 1 tsp. raspberry jam and 1/2 tsp. powdered sugar.

Total calories = 1409 calories
4 sandwiches = 353 calories per sandwich

1 Monte Cristo sandwich + lettuce w/ zesty fat free Italian = 403 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

3 comments:

  1. Debbi - love the idea of this - kind of like a French Toast sandwich, which I would definitely try - think that I would probably leave out the raspberry jam though. But then now that I think about it, I would probably like something a little more tart like plum jam in this - that could be yummy :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my sandwich (not very healthy, BUT OHHHHHH so good!)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/bennigans-monte-cristo-sandwich.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this one too! I think the cornflakes add a special crunch that reminds me of the deep fried original, but it's still healthy.

    http://thelawstudentswife.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-monte-cristo.html

    ReplyDelete