Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lemon Quinoa with Broccoli


I love everything about this quinoa dish. Love the lemony taste. Love the sunflower seeds. Love how filling it was. Did I say that I loved this? I ate more than I had planned to, I couldn't stop. At least I can say that with a nice healthy meal like this rather than a bag of doritos, right?

This is my submission to BSI: Lemons hosted by Girlichef
Ingredient Spotlight: Seeds at Eat at Home



Lemon Quinoa with Broccoli

1/2 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine (or just chicken broth)
1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/4 c. sunflower seeds

Cook onion and garlic for a couple of minutes in a pot with cooking spray.  Add rinsed quinoa, chicken broth and white wine.  Cook on low for about 20 minutes, covered until quinoa is done. Add lemon juice and broccoli florets and cook for a couple of minutes until broccoli is kinda soft. Turn off heat and stir in sunflower seeds.

Total calories = 584
4 servings = 146 calories

2 servings Quinoa with Broccoli + 6 oz, No Name steak + 1 tbsp. Heinz 57 = 512 calorie dinner
Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

12 comments:

  1. sunflower seeds, huh? hmmm...i have some pinenuts, that could be good too. must get white wine. hey, top by my blog again,i got some new meal ideas i've cooked lately. i don't even want to guess the calorie content! don't tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try quinoa. I heard it is a low calorie alternative to pasta but never knew excatly what to do with it. I look forward to finally trying quinoa with your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debbi, this sounds fantastic. I love the sunflower seeds tucked into the dish, especially. I definitely want to make some soon. I'm so glad that you shared this with BSI:Lemons this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so wonderful! I love quinoa and the addition of lemon with broccoli is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good, and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very tasty! Is a full recipe with instructions for making it available?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, I had no idea there were no instructions! I'll look them up and put them in there, I wonder if I accidently deleted them? Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only tried quinoa once. I need to give it another chance. This looks like a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to give quinoa another try and this looks like a good recipe for it. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to make this tomorrow, but I need some directions. :) Is everything cooked together and served as a hot dish? Is the quinoa cooked in the liquid, then cooled and served with everything else raw as a salad?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for adding the directions! :)

    ReplyDelete