Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lemon Garlic Hummus



I know the above picture looks like a vegetable appetizer platter but I assure you, this was my dinner. I was going to have some soup along with this but this totally filled me up. I was just cooking for myself this evening so this seemed the perfect dinner. I love hummus but never buy it because it always has a ton of oil which of course is delicious but so not healthy. I just use a tablespoon of sesame oil, that gives it the sesame taste plus adds a bit of oil. I love garlic so I go pretty heavy on the garlic. Probably not a good date night appetizer.

I like to make this dip with homemade tortilla chips but I have a ton of veggies in the frig that need to be used so I just stuck with the vegetables. I measured out 3 oz. of each vegetable and that's what I got. So 9 oz. of veggies came to less than 100 calories, that's a lot of food and not a lot of calories. I like that. Friends of mine have mentioned that they get tummy troubles from eating a lot of veggies but I've never had that problem, thank goodness!


Lemon Garlic Hummus

1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
In food processor, combine everything until smooth. Serve with homemade tortilla chips or veggies.

Total calories = 535
2 servings = 268 calories per serving
9 oz. veggies = 100 calories

1 serving of hummus + veggies = 368 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



No comments:

Post a Comment