Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Italian Zucchini with Tomatoes


I love meals that you can just keep picking and eating and know that it's still healthy and your not taking in tons of extra calories! I kept eating this tonight because it was so good!

This is one of the most simplist side dishes to make. I use the garlic from the jar, I just threw in a heaping tablespoon of it. Chop the zucchini, toss in the tomatoes and spices and your done.

I've made this as a zucchini parmesan with cheese before and I don't find the calories of the parmesan worth it. It doesn't make it THAT much better with cheese and you more than double the calories with just 2 tablespoons of cheese. So I prefer it just the way it is. Simple, healthy and low calorie. Can't get any better than that.



Italian Zucchini with Tomatoes

4 cloves of garlic
4 medium zucchini, cut into slices (about 1 or 1 1/4 lbs.)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, saute garlic in cooking spray. Add zucchini, cook and stir for 4 - 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir in tomatoes and spices. Simmer, uncovered for 9 - 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and is heated through.

Total calories = 170
3 servings = 57 calories per serving

Tomato basil pork loin + Italian zucchini + sweet potato fries = 472 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. This is my all time go-to side, cuz to make 1 or 2 or 4 or 8 servings is about the same amount of work and (seems like) calories. I avoid pasta so I sometimes julienne the zuke to pretend it's noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I bet this would be good with pasta too.

    ReplyDelete