Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fiesta Stuffed Peppers




I do like pretty food and I think this is pretty food. Yes, in the end you end up just mashing it all together but when you first pull it out of the oven, they all look so pretty. I also like how these don't have rice in them. If you'd like to make some spanish rice to put in the pan around the peppers, go ahead.

I halved the recipe tonight since I was only cooking for 2 of us. Not that it has stopped me before to make a whole big recipe. I LOVE the leftovers for lunch. I actually made a full batch of the meat mixture and froze the other half for taco salads or nachos.

I got this recipe from a friend quite awhile back and have made several changes to healthify it. I cut the cheese out, I think that her recipe called to put 1/2 cheese slice in the bottom of the pepper before adding the filling. And then a couple of tablespoons on top. I prefer to add sour cream to mine so I don't need the extra cheese. The husband puts cheese on his though. You also can add some cayenne to make it spicier or some cumin. I'm just not a cumin fan but it is popular in mexican type dishes. I'm rambling, it's late, these were good. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's lunch already. :-)


Fiesta Stuffed Peppers

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 cup salsa
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (Rotel)
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. adobo seasoning
Small handful of cilantro, chopped (I only use cilantro if I happen to have it)
Optional: 3/4 cup cheese, 1 tbsp. per pepper
12 large red bell peppers (or any colors)

Brown onions & ground turkey until done. Add garlic, salsa, black beans, adobo seasoning and tomatoes, simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro. In a large pot, fill with water and bring to boil. Cut off the tops of the peppers and scoop out seeds. Place in boiling water for about 10 minutes. In an 9 x 13 baking dish (8 x 8 if you're only making 6 peppers), place peppers top side up. Add meat filling to peppers. Bake in oven at 350 for 30 minutes. The last 5 minutes, top with cheese if you are using cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.


Total calories = 2300
192 calories per stuffed pepper
Add about 30 calories per pepper for every tablespoon of cheese added.

1 stuffed pepper + 2 tbsp. light sour cream + 1 oz. tortilla chips = 382 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



1 comment:

  1. I always use rice with mine but I will give yours a try. I was actually planning on making stuffed peppers tonight for dinner.

    ReplyDelete