Sunday, January 3, 2010

Chicken Pasta & Veggie Salad




So I'm running with the fact that I have white wine and parsley in the frig. Those are items I don't usually keep on hand so I seem to be making everything that I can with those items. If you don't have either of those items, go ahead and still make this salad. While the sauce is very good, I don't think the wine makes or breaks this recipe at all. All the flavors combined did create a delicious salad that was deceptively filling. I didn't think I was eating a ton of food but boy was I full after 2 cups of this. I ate a cup for lunch the next day and same thing, totally full. Nice. The recipe called for plain yogurt but all I had was vanilla so I went with it and liked the flavor.


Chicken Pasta & Veggie Salad

½ cup water
¼ cup white wine
1 lb. skinless chicken breast halves
2 large garlic clove, sliced
1 cup plain or vanilla low fat yogurt
¼ cup light mayonnaise
1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. spicy brown mustard
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. each garlic powder and black pepper
4 cups cooked Barilla Plus penne pasta (about 1/4 of a 14.5 oz. box)
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped red pepper
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped carrot
2 tbsp. chopped parsley

Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken pieces from broth, cool and coarsely chop. Bring broth to a boil, cook until reduced to about ¼ cup. Cool. Combine reduced broth, yogurt, mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in chicken, pasta, and remaining ingredients. Cover and chill thoroughly.
Total calories = 1290
7 cups = 184 calories per cup
2 cups Chicken Pasta Salad = 368 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment