Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie



This is comfort food. It just makes me feel good. I have a couple of different pot pie recipes but this one is classic. I do need to get a good crustless or topless pot pie recipe because it's the crust that is SOOOOOOO many calories in this! I up the veggies in this too so it's super thick which is how I love it. I usually use mixed vegetables with green beans, carrots, corn and peas but I didn't have that so I used a cup of peas, a cup of corn and 2 cups of green beans. I did miss the orange from the carrots though. This is the kind of recipe that I don't usually measure things, I just sorta throw it all in the pan and see how it comes out. I did measure this time for you so I could get an accurate calorie count though. Thoughtful, huh. :-)



Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie

1 box (15 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1/3 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1/2 cup milk, 1%
2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey (9 oz)
3 - 4 cups of mixed frozen vegetables

Put one pie crust on bottom of glass pie pan. Heat butter in large skillet, add onion, cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and milk, cooking until bubbly and thickened. Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Spoon chicken mixture into the crust lined pan, top with the other crust, seal edges. Cut slits in several places to vent. Cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent burning. Bake at 425 for 30 - 40 minutes or until crust is brown. Take foil off the edges the last 15 minutes of cooking. Let stand for 5 - 10 minutes before serving, if it cools off a bit, it's easier to slice and keep it together.

Total calories = 2926
6 huge servings = 487 calories per serving

1 serving of Chicken Pot Pie = 487 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


3 comments:

  1. I use blogpatrol - I am pretty pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pot pie is the best. Comfort food to the max. And this is actual not bad calorie-wise! Good job upping the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pot pie sounds delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete