Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cheesy Butternut Squash Bake




This just wasn't a pretty dinner. However, we can't always judge things by their appearance. Disfigured and gloppy as it was, it was quite delicious.

 I originally got this squash recipe from the Hungry Girl website and I believe she uses Laughing Cow Swiss cheese which I have yet to try so I just used the leftover mozzarella cheese we had from making pizza's last weekend. It was very good.  I pretty much love anything with butternut squash!

 I would recommend cutting the onions smaller or cooking them with the squash a bit because they weren't quite cooked enough and it was quite onion-y tasting. We like onion so we were okay with that.



Cheesy Butternut Squash Bake

1 lbs. butternut squash, cubed (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup diced onions
1/4 cup egg beaters or 2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. pepper

Place squash in a medium pan with 1/4 cup water and steam until soft, about 15 - 20 minutes. Drain any excess water. Add the rest of the ingredients and mash together. Transfer squash to a small casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes until edges begin to brown.

Total calories = 405
4 servings = 101 calories per serving

Pulled pork sandwich + 2 servings Squash Bake = 502 calories


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and I'm so glad I did... you've got some REALLY yummy recipes that I can't wait to try! I'll be checking back often :)
    -Mini Baker
    ps. I hate butternut squash... but with some cheese I'm bound to LOVE IT! I'll be making this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely made a good choice by using mozzarella instead of Laughing Cow...this sounds delicious! Especially with the pulled pork. Two of my favorite foods in one dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Hungry Girl has some good recipes :)

    Thanks for linking to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! Hope you come back again next week! We have more exciting themes in store for everyone!

    ReplyDelete