Saturday, January 30, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese Soup




It was cold yesterday. Really cold. This warmed me up nicely. I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of processed cheese. However, it does make a good broccoli and cheese soup. It melts well and is nice and creamy. It probably would be more flavorful not using light cheese and low fat milk but it works for me. I enjoy it. I don't know if the whole wheat flour tastes any different in this that regular flour but it's all I had on hand today. I don't puree mine as I like it quite chunky, I do chop the broccoli pretty small though so some of it just sorta dissolves in the soup.


Broccoli and Cheese Soup

1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 lb. broccoli florets, chopped fairly small
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups milk, 1%
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. velveeta, 2%
Pinch of allspice

In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, add onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli, bring broccoli to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes. Combine flour and milk, stir until blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli, cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in pepper, allspice and cheese, stirring until cheese melts. If you like your soup more pureed, you can remove some and puree it, I just cut the broccoli chunks fairly small and it's fine the way it is.


Total calories = 965 calories
6 cups = 161 calories per cup

1 cup Broccoil and Cheese Soup + 1/2 serving leftover tortilla casserole = 367 calories dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



1 comment:

  1. you could try using swiss cheese or even cheddar! that'd be much better than processed cheese! or even leave out the cheese! i know it sounds plain and boring but i tried it from a gordon ramsay recipe and although simple, it's brilliant!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/naked-broccoli-soup-with-garlic-herb_17.html

    ReplyDelete