Friday, December 4, 2009

Turkey or Chicken Quesadilla



I told you you'd see a lot of tortillas here! There is nothing like a messy, goopy, super tasty quesadilla for dinner. I love smothering it with sour cream and still knowing I am getting a healthy, low calorie meal that will keep me full. Your eyes are going to want cheese on this but you don't need the cheese. Say it with me, "I don't need the cheese". I've seen recipes that put 1/2 cup cheese on one quesadilla. Not worth the calories people. I'd much rather put a whole lot of sour cream on it for less than 1/2 the calories. I used turkey in my quesadilla, you can also easily use chicken with this, I just happen to have a lot of turkey in the freezer.
Turkey Quesadilla


2 cups cooked turkey
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups julienned zucchini
1 cup salsa
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
10 whole wheat 100 calorie tortillas



In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat for about 3 -4 minutes. Add zucchini, salsa, corn, red pepper and chilies. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Stir in seasonings.
For each quesadilla, place one tortilla in an ungreased nonstick skillet. Toast until desired crispness. Remove to plate. Toast another tortilla on both sides. Top with 1 cup filling. Cover with the other tortilla. Cook for another minute or so until hot. Cut into wedges. Another option is to cook one tortilla, place ½ cup filling on it and fold in ½. This makes it actually easier to handle. Top with light sour cream or salsa.




Total calories = 1858

5 servings = 372 calories

1 quesadilla + 1/4 cup light sour cream = 452 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment