Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Turkey Primavera

Pasta and white sauce are just a dangerous combination for me. I just can't stop eating it. I ate so much of this meal tonight, I couldn't stop. It is so good I just kept eating spoonful after spoonful just so the experience wouldn't end. *sigh* The awesome thing, is I didn't have to ingest thousands of calories for this awesome experience either. It's packed with vegetables and incredibly delicious. You won't be disappointed. This recipe makes a ton of food. We ate A LOT and there are still tons of leftovers.

I think that primavera means spring. It's anything but spring here. It's snowing and it's going to continue snowing all night. Maybe that's why I ate so much, I want spring.


Turkey Primavera

1/2 box Rotini or Penne pasta, Barilla Plus (7 oz)
10 oz. leftover turkey, diced
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper
1 medium zucchini squash, cut into circles
1 medium yellow squash, cut into circles
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 head broccoli, cut into florets (1/2 lb)
2 carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced (plum tomatoes)
2 garlic cloves, crushed

For White Sauce:

3 Tbsp I can't believe it's not butter, light
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk, 1 %
4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper and garlic powder

Directions

1 . In medium saucepan, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add to large serving bowl.
2. In large skillet, saute diced chicken in olive oil and salt and pepper for 6-8 minutes, stirring often. Once chicken has cooked through, transfer to plate.
3. Chop all veggies. Add chopped veggies to same skillet that cooked the chicken in.
4. Add all the veggies (except the tomatoes) to the same skillet that you sauteed the chicken and steam/saute for 3-4 minutes with 1/4 cup of water. Add the tomatoes during the last minute. Transfer to plate.
5. Make white sauce in the small sauce pan. Add all the ingredients and stir continually until thickened. Do not boil.
6. Toss pasta, cooked chicken, sauteed veggies with parmesan sauce. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Total calories = 2050
5 servings = 410 calories

1 serving of turkey primavera = 410 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! When I first started going veg I found a few primavera recipes but never tried them. Normally when we have a plethora of vegetables I make a stir fry. I think I'll give something like this a go next time though.

    (I want spring too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie!
    I saw you were following my blog!! THANK YOU!
    It totally makes my day when I get new people checking it out, I hope you enjoy!!

    That pasta looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to indulge in the taste of spring during a snow storm, isn't it! It brings a little sunshine into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie! One of my favorite recipes by far is primavera! I will try your version, but will use real butter cause I simply adore it! Thanks again for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat a lot of turkey. Turkey farmers are everywhere in the valley that we live in. There are always leftovers and this looks like a great way to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turkey, veggies & white sauce....addicting! Thanks so much for sharing w/ Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta with veggies and turkey in a cream sauce - heaven. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete