Friday, December 25, 2009

Tropical Turkey or Chicken Salad



I couldn't stop eating this. It was SO GOOD. It is pretty to look at and just fun to eat. The textures and flavors are excellent and keep you going back for more! I made this with all mayo but I think I would split it with mayo and fat free vanilla yogurt next time to cut calories a bit more. I think the vanilla flavor yogurt would taste good with this too. I ate a cup of this which was nice and filling but I was snacking all night too on naughty things like candy coated pretzels and chex mix so my low calorie dinner wasn't quite so low calorie as it could have been.


I used leftover turkey for this salad but it is just as good with chicken. I froze several 10 oz. portions of turkey from a huge cheap turkey we got this year.  This is just as good with chicken as well.  


Tropical Turkey Salad


1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks or tidbits, save 2 tbsp. juice
2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken, 10 oz.
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1 cup red or green grapes, halved
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
3/4 cup mayo, I used light
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. molasses
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tbsp. juice. In large bowl, combine pineapple, turkey, apple, grapes, celery, onion and walnuts. In small bowl, combine mayo, splenda, molasses, curry, salt, coconut and pineapple juice. Fold into turkey mixture, spoon onto lettuce leaves.

Total calories = 1500

10 - 1/2 cup servings = 150 calories per serving

1 cup Tropical Turkey Salad = 300 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



2 comments:

  1. That sounds a bit different and very delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. The pineapple makes it special.

    ReplyDelete