Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sweet Slow Cooker Baked Beans

Most people probably would consider baked beans a side dish rather than the main course. I LOVE baked beans so for me, this is the main thing tonight. They are SOOOO delicious and super filling. So a cup of beans, side salad and an apple, and I'm good to go. I was tempted to put some leftover ham in these but I kept them vegetarian this time. I vary the type of bean, my preference is below in the recipe but this time I think I subbed large butter beans for the garbanzo beans. It's great to just throw it in the crockpot and forget about it. I love how this makes a huge batch and we can eat them for lunch throughout the week.

Baked Beans

1 large onion
3 tbsp. garlic
1 can pinto beans
1 can great Northern beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can baked beans
1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, partially drained
¾ cup ketchup
¼ cup bbq sauce
¼ cup molasses
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. mustard
½ tsp. pepper

Mix all in crock pot. Heat 5 - 6 hours on low.

About 3000 calories for the whole thing, 10 cups.
300 calories per cup
1 cup beans + side salad + apple = 450 calorie dinner
Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment