Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sweet Cinnamon French Toast




I have been making french toast for years with the basic egg/milk combo that was taught to me. Over the years I had flavored it up with cinnamon which made a good french toast. Then I was told by a friend about a recipe she used for french toast using vanilla ice cream instead of milk. My oh my was THAT good!! How could it not be! Bread with vanilla and sugar and then fried? What's not to love. Obviously I could not endure all those calories though. So here is my attempt at healthifying an awesome recipe. I've made these many times for the kids and they absolutely love them! They are flavorful and sweet so you really don't need much syrup at all on them. A little is nice though.


Tonight I used Wonder Soft 100% Whole Wheat bread. These are 55 calories a piece. I go back and forth from this to Sara Lee Delightful 40 calorie bread. How many french toast you yield will depend on the size of the bread.


We ate this tonight with fried turkey ham. I get the chunk at the grocery store and I have them thick slice it for me. It's fairly inexpensive, low calorie and a great quick meal.




Sweet Cinnamon French Toast


1 - 8 oz. carton egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup splenda
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp molasses
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
15 pieces bread - I used Wonder Soft 100% Whole Wheat at 55 calories per piece
Lite syrup

Combine all ingredients except for the bread. Heat large skillet and spray with cooking spray. Dip bread one at a time in egg mixture coating both sides completely. Cook in skillet 3 - 5 minutes on each side until done to desired crispness. I kept the cover on for the first few minutes to make sure the insides of the bread weren't soggy. Serve with syrup. Serve with meat or eggs and fruit.



Total calories = 1215 calories without syrup
1 piece cinnamon french toast = 81 calories
1 tbsp. lite syrup = 25 calories
1 piece fried turkey ham = 75 calories
1 small orange = 45 calories

3 pieces cinnamon french toast + 3 tbsp. lite syrup + 2.5 oz. fried ham + 1 small orange = 438 calorie dinner
Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie!! Kale is a lot like spinach, but chewier. I grew it this year and loved it!! Try it out for sure. But try to go Organic though, as it something with lots of pesticides (because bugs love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy, Debbi! I love having breakfast for dinner. And now I have a craving for ham....

    Oh, and you asked about how you know who finds you via a google search. I have a counter installed on my blog that keeps track of all that for me. You can get one at http;//www.sitemeter.com

    ReplyDelete