Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sweet Caramelized Onion Dip



I love dip. I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. I love dip. I love dip. It's a dangerous thing to have around the house. This healthier version and eating it with veggies IS a better option though. I got this recipe from Hungry Girl, she has a lot of great recipes and tips. I copied the recipe and calorie count below how she had it, however, I used light vs. fat free in the sour cream, mayo and cream cheese so my calories would be higher than hers using the fat free. There are a LOT of onions in this and the flavor from them is fantastic so I'm sure using the fat free would taste just fine, I just happened to have the light versions around here. This really is SOOOOO good. Go make it. Now.



Sweet Caramelized Onion Dip

2 large sweet onions, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese, room temp
1 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Once butter has coated the bottom of the pan, add onions, salt and cayenne pepper. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for additional 25 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and caramelized. Add mustard and vinegar to the pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In large bowl, combine sour cream, mayo and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth. Add cooled onions to the mayo mixture and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to combine. Serve with your favorite veggies or chips.

Serving size 1/3 cup = 74 calories


2 comments:

  1. I love dip too! If I had another onion and some dijon I would probably make this right now, but it'll have to wait a little while. Isn't Hungry Girl great? I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby LOVE onion dip. It really is his favorite chip dip. The idea of caramelizing the onions is awesome! I can imagine how great this tastes!!!

    ReplyDelete