Friday, December 18, 2009

Slow Cooker 13 Bean and Ham Soup



One of the first things I do with ham leftovers is think of soup. This bean and ham soup is my favorite! It is super simple and extremely delicious. Just how I like it. I love how the ham just falls off the bone after awhile and how most of the beans just mush up and the soup gets all thick. Perfect comfort food.



13 Bean and Ham Soup



1 leftover ham hock, with plenty of meat still attached
2 quarts of water
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium onion
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 cups 13 bean soup mix, I used Bob's Red Mill



Place all ingredients in crock pot over night on low. I don't presoak the beans or anything, they will be in the crockpot a long time. In the morning, stir soup, take out ham hock and shred meat. Put meat back in the crock. Continue cooking on low, stirring occasionally until ready to eat. Mine sat in the slow cooker for about 21 hours before I put it in the frig.


I don't have a calorie count for the soup as it varies how much ham actually goes into it. It is a highly nutritious meal to enjoy a big bowl of this soup with a side salad.

4 comments:

  1. Ham and Beans means fall is around the corner - yumm!! another delicious link for Two for Tuesdays - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine the heavenly smell when you open that crock pot. This looks delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa DEBS! THIS looks awesome and I am so sharing it on my Thoughts on friday link love post cause I am totally gonna be making it this fall. I ADORE ham and bean soup, but havent made it in the slow cooker yet. Thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! One of my favorite things...and I'm just about due for some. Thanks so much for sharing this with us this week, too =)

    ReplyDelete