Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mongolian Beef and Broccoli in the Slow Cooker



I found some inexpensive steak recently and have a big bag of broccoli that needs to be used. That only means one thing, mongolian beef. I've made several versions of beef and broccoli but this one from the crockpot lady is my favorite. It's a lot of ingredients but it's all things that I usually have on hand anyways and they come together to create an amazing meal.
 

Mongolian Beef and Broccoli

1 1/2 pounds steak, something cheap
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 sliced green onions
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup cooking sherry
1/2 T white wine vinegar
1 t sesame oil
2 t molasses
1 t ginger
1/4 t black pepper
1 t red chili pepper flakes
1/2 T peanut butter
3 T splenda
1/4 cup cornstarch (to dredge meat)
1 lb. broccoli

Slice your meat in thin strips and toss in a Ziploc bag with cornstarch. Add all of the liquid and dried spices to your crock pot, add the peanut butter, and mix well. Add the garlic, the sliced green onions and regular onion. Put your meat on top, and toss to coat.

Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours. The steak is thin and have very little fat, and will cook quickly. The meat is done when it is no longer pink and has reached desired tenderness. Mine was done in about 4 hours. Steam broccoli on stovetop for 6 - 8 minutes with 1/2 cup water until desired crispness. Serve mongolian beef over steamed broccoli.


Total calories = 1485 calories
3 servings = 495 calories
1 serving Mongolian Beef with Broccoli = 495 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.



6 comments:

  1. yummy!!! This looks so good... do you think you have to have the sherry and white wine? I don't have that on hand ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want chinese food really bad right now. Chinese was not on the menu tonight but it may have to be. This looks so good! And I love Stephanie and her crock pot blog! That's where I learned the wonders of the crock pot which definitely saved us this summer without AC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, these are the kind of recipes I love--real slow delicious soul and comfort food! I am SO making this! Thanks for sharing the real food love at the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beef and broccoli are one of my favorite combos. Sounds delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this makes me sad that I don't have a slow cooker. That is definitely something on my list of things to buy soon. This recipe sounds really great! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to try this. The addition of the peanut butter and molasses seems like they would "smooth" out the sharp taste of the other ingredients. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete