Sunday, December 6, 2009

Italian Slow Cooker Chicken

Sometimes you need a totally no fuss meal. Today I needed something simple and this was perfect. Simple, tasty and filling. It hit the spot.

I buy shredded cabbage at Costco in a huge bag so I am always looking for ways to use it up before it goes bad. The main thing I use the cabbage for is my BBQ chicken wraps with cole slaw. Yum. But then I am faced with the problem of the other 2/3 of the bag. It's so much cheaper for the huge bag that I continue to buy it and to challenge myself to use it before it goes bad. I like the cabbage and onion in this sauce, it makes it thicker and gives it an interesting crunch. Plus boosting the vegetables in recipes always makes me happy.

Italian Slow Cooker Chicken

12 oz. shredded cabbage or 1/2 head, cut into wedges
1 large onion, sliced into rings
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts or chicken tenders
1 tsp. dried italian seasoning
2 cups spaghetti sauce
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. cold water
1 lb. broccoli

Place cabbage, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Add chicken. Sprinkle with italian seasoning. Pour spaghetti sauce all in cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours. Combine cornstarch and water, stir into sauce in cooker, cover and cook for about 15 minutes more until thickened. Steam broccoli in pan with 1/2 cup water for about 6 - 8 minutes or until tender. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with broccoli.

Total calories = 1455
3 servings = 485 calories
1 serving italian chicken with broccoli = 485 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment