Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ham & Pineapple with Tomato Peach Chutney





Let me just start by saying that ham is the only meal that my entire family will eat. The only meal. I always make separate things for the adults and children. It's quite annoying. My kids love ham. It's pretty much a staple in frig at all times. Now that it's ham season, they are on sale so I stock up in the freezer. Leftovers are not a problem.

I first had this chutney at my mother-in-laws. It fell in love with it right away and she gave me her recipe. It's like pie filling for ham. I did make a couple of changes, I added more onion and I replaced part of the sugar with splenda. I didn't want to replace all of it with splenda, I was afraid it would change the taste but there was an awful lot of sugar so I had to cut some of it. It tasted fine, in fact, I think next time I will replace a little bit more of the brown sugar with splenda. I also found out that peaches are not in season (duh!) so I used a can of peaches. I couldn't find fresh ones anywhere, or at least at the 2 grocery stores I checked. Found a fresh pineapple no problem, but no peaches. I used fresh tomatoes but I really think that canned tomatoes would be fine too. If you're making this in tomato/peach season, go ahead and use the real stuff but if you're like me and just wait until the hams go on sale, I think the canned is just fine.



Tomato Peach Chutney

1 3/4 cups chopped, seeded, peeled fresh tomatoes
1 1/2 cups (or 1 can, lite) chopped, peeled fresh peaches
3/4 cup chopped green pepper (I used red, it was all I had)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar or splenda
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour or until thickened, stirring frequently. Refrigerate to cool.

Total calories for chutney = 1100 (with splenda)
18 slightly rounded tablespoons = 61 calories per tbsp

1/2 cup corn = 66 calories
2 pineapple rings = 60 calories
6 oz. ham + 2 tbsp. chutney + 1/2 cup corn + 2 pineapple rings= 508 calorie dinner.
Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

4 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine having to make something different for members of the family. Cooking for just me and the Man is hard enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MAN DEBBIE! This so rocks! I adore chutney because my english aunty married my indian uncle and we used to have amazing feasts at their home! Such a treat! never thought to put it on ham but sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the real food love on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chutney sounds awesome! We like ham around our house a lot, too...I'll have to try it with this chutney next time. Thanks for sharing it w/ two for tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This chutney sounds so yummy. I love the mix of flavors! We don't eat a lot of ham at our house, but I bet this chutney would be great on lots of other meat as well. Thanks for sharing this one our Two for Tuesday blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete