Monday, December 28, 2009

Fiesta Corn Chowder



It's cold outside, we just got 2 feet of snow over the weekend and I really needed something to warm me up! This hit the spot. I confess, I needed the broccoli only to cool my mouth down. The soup isn't too spicy but the buffalo wings burned a little. The soup is thick and chunky, just how I like it! It's loaded with veggies and creamy and very satisfying. This would be delicious with ham added to the soup to make it a meal just by itself. It also came together very quickly, perfect for the last minute dinner.

Go ahead and use gluten free flour and make it a gluten free meal! 


Fiesta Corn Chowder

1 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup salsa
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 can corn, drained or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can creamed corn
1 small can green chiles
1/2 cup milk, 1%
1/2 cup colby jack cheese

Melt butter in large pan on stove. Add onion, green and red pepper. Saute vegetables until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add salsa, broth, corn, creamed corn, green chiles and milk. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cheese the last 5 minutes.

Total calories = 1160
Yield = 6 1/2 cups
178 calories per cup

1 cup Fiesta Corn Chowder + 4 buffalo wings + broccoli = 408 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


4 comments:

  1. Now THAT is my kind of soup as well. I've been looking for a corn chowder with a kick recipe as mine is pretty blah. Will have to give this a try soon.

    Oh, and you asked about my blender for the green smoothies. We got a Cuisinart Blender/Food Processor duo. So.. I guess it's fancy, but I see no reason why a normal blender couldn't handle it. It's just fruit and greens, ya know? I say give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. I will have to try it when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight! It totally hit the spot on a brisk night in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete