Thursday, December 24, 2009

Crustless Tex-Mex Meatloaf Cheddar Pie

This was better than I expected it to be. It has all the ingredients that I like so I knew it would be good, but it came together even tastier than I imagined. It's slightly zippy and cheesy and everything you'd want in comfort food. The original recipe called for more meat and more cheese, I added beans instead of 1/2 lb. meat and dropped a cup of cheese, this had PLENTY of cheese. The only thing I would do next time I make this would be to add a bit of cilantro on top at the end.


Crustless Tex-Mex Meatloaf Cheddar Pie

1 - 16 oz. jar fire roasted red peppers, drained and split
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 lb ground turkey
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup bread crumbs (I used garlic and herb seasoned)
2 eggs
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
3/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Spray 10 in. pie plate with cooking spray and line with red peppers. Scatter 1/2 cup cheese on top of the peppers. In large bowl, mix 1/2 cup cheese, ground turkey, 3/4 cup salsa, beans, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper until just combined. Press into the pepper and cheese lined pie plate. Spread the remaining salsa over the top. Bake for 40 minutes. Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes longer. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Total calories = 2780
6 servings = 463 calories per serving

Tex-Mex Meatloaf Cheddar Pie = 463 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


9 comments:

  1. All of the men in my family name meatloaf as their favorite food. I bet they'd love to try this variation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, and I like how you have made it healthier and lower in fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the way to my belly, Debbi ;) Some of my favorite flavors rolled into this dish...yum! Thanks so much for sharing this one with 24T this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love meatloaf around here - I love how you made it in pie form!
    thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing at how many folks posted up recipes for mexican food this week! This looks so easy and so good! :) thanks for sharing the real food love on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meatloaf is one of my favorites that I don't eat often enough. Thanks for sharing on TFT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love meatloaf. But for the moment, I decided to decrease it, since I need to work with my Cholesterol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love meatloaf and this tex-mex version sounds wonderful. I love the idea of adding cilantro on top. Thanks for sharing this at Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much salsa (total) is supposed to be in the recipe? I believe you forgot to include that in the list of ingredients. Other than that, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete