Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Creamy Tomato Soup

This just warmed me from head to toe. I could drink this with a straw it was so good! I am the only one in the house who likes tomato soup so this will provide many lunches this week for me. I love that it comes together great in the slow cooker too. 

 The fact that it comes together quickly and cooks all day in the slow cooker totally rocks too. I almost forgot the half and half, the picture doesn't show it. I ate my first bowl before I realized it was missing. It was even delicious without the cream. By the way, the recipe called for 2 cups of heavy cream in this. I cannot rationalize adding 1650 calories to this healthy soup so I choose 1 cup of half and half. It is perfectly delicious this way and incredibly low calorie. So go ahead, drink it with a straw.

Creamy Tomato Soup

3 lbs. vine-ripened tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups tomato juice (I use V8)
1 cup cooking sherry
3 tbsp. sugar
1 chicken boullion cube
2T chopped fresh basil
1 cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash all of your tomatoes and cut them into quarters. Put all of the tomatoes in the crock pot. Add chopped onion. Top with tomato sauce, sherry and boullion cube. Stir in sugar and chopped basil. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. If you want a chunky soup, add half and half in now. Otherwise carefully use an immersion blender to puree or blender. Then stir in half and half. I like mine a little bit chunky. Yield 10 cups

Total calories = 930 calories
1 cup tomato soup = 93 calories

2 cups Creamy Tomato Soup + 1 egg salad sandwich = 465 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

No comments:

Post a Comment