Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cilantro Egg Salad Sandwich




I've noticed quite the controversy over cilantro. It doesn't seem that you simply like it or don't like it, it's that you love it beyond belief or despise it's very presence and think it's the most offensive food known to man. There are even websites devoted to the immense hate of cilantro. People sell t-shirts displaying how much they hate cilantro. I don't think I hate anything enough to wear a t-shirt about it.

Well, I happen to love cilantro. So adding a large amount to this egg salad was awesome for me. It really is good! I thought at first it was too much mustard but then deemed it fine. I can't wait until lunch so I can eat another sandwich!




Cilantro Egg Salad

5 hard cooked eggs, finely chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. honey dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lime juice
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste
5 - 100 calorie sandwich thins

In a medium bowl, stir everything together, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on 100 calorie sandwich thins. Yield - 5 - 1/2 cup servings

Total calories = 1395
1 sandwich = 279 calories

1 Cilantro Egg Salad Sandwich + 2 cups tomato soup = 465 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for following my blog! I really like the premise of yours. Dinner for under 500 calories is totally doable! I try to keep mine anywhere between 400 and 550, which is something that has worked well for me although lately I've been erring towards the less than 500 end of the spectrum since I've put on a few extra pounds during this holiday season.

    The thing about cilantro is that some people have a genetic mutation that makes them taste it as soap - which is why they hate it! Everyone else just tastes it for the delicious herb that it is. I personally love the stuff. This sounds like a delicious sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm of the small percentage of people that is just okay with cilantro. No love. No hate. But I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can take cilantro in small doses - very small doses - and only in salsa. But I love the color of your egg sandwich, nothing plain about it! Thanks for linking it to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I always forget how good eggie salad is! Cilantro is a favorite of mine too. Thanks for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well....I LOOOOOOOOVE Cilantro (and egg salad)...so I say, YUM! Thanks for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays Debbi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I had to do a bit of thinking here, in my neck of the woods cilantro is known as coriander.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to hate hate hate cilantro, and now I love it just as much. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally love cilantro, but never would ever have thought of putting it with eggs - great idea - thanks for the inspiration.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete